Lord of the Silver Bow - David Gemmell Wow, a book about the Trojan War with a new protagonist and a different - perhaps more realistic - portrayal of the Greek world and the reasons for the great struggle. I couldn't have ordered a book more suited to my tastes.
Alas, the first third of the book was a huge disappointment. Sure, the Greek world of the Aegean Sea is more historical and realistically portrayed. However, the characters did not really spring to life but seemed one dimensional. The plot dragged along without any real point except to introduce more characters, who ultimately disappeared into nothingness. The protagonist was --- well just boring; no matter how angst ridden he was regarding his upbringing. And the tragic love story wasn't very compelling at all. At this point, I honestly did not think I would ever finish the book but must stack it in the "try it again later"box.
Then a most unexpected thing happened: the book came to life. Finally, the seemingly endless sea voyage concludes at its ultimate destination, and we finally see the golden city of Troy and its egomaniac King Priam. A fortress-city surrounded without by the scheming Mykene of Agamemnon and within by Priam's devious sons who are eager to put a knife in his back even as he is eager to conceive more children on their wives. The protagonist actually becomes interesting as he weaves his way through the Trojan royalty, and the author gives us another love story between two unlikely lovers but likeable characters, which is more compelling than the protagonist's love triangle. Add to this the gritty combat at the end of the book, and Gemmell delivers an enjoyable read in Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow.
Since I mentioned the book's title, I just have to add that "Lord of the Silver Bow" is really deceptive, because it has little to do with this story. It is mentioned a bit at the beginning of the book then completely disappears only to be thrown back in on the last page almost as an afterthought by the author. Other than those appearances the title has nothing to do with this book. Honestly, I'm not really sure why they even used the title except that it is catchy. Probably meaningless info here just had to get it off my chest.
So if you are thinking of picking this book up know that while it has its problems *cough The first third of the book stinks cough* it is still a nice read if you can just hold on until the author actually gets to Troy.