Wizard and Glass  - Stephen King I could say lots of things about this book, but nothing really does it justice: it is just good; good in that way which eludes description, like the taste of an ice cold Coke to a parched throat on a summer afternoon or the warmth of a fire on a chilly autumn morning. And like those things, you take it for granted how enjoyable it is. Honestly, the ongoing tale of Roland and the Dark Tower becomes your own quest; the five companions your own friends ; and those persons lost along the way your own demons that haunt your mind.

Perhaps my affection for Roland the Gunslinger has turned me into a fanboy who sees no wrong in my heroes tale, but I honestly don't believe that. (My disillusion with Robert Jordan's WoT and Martin's GoT series show proof that even my love can be destroyed by an author who loses his way with a story.) No, King delivers here, moving our heroes into the world of The Stand (Yes that most awesome of all modern, apocalypse, horror books) as well as taking us into Roland's own past. It is a long tale, yet King never fails to move it forward, keeping you turning the pages. Seemingly without effort, King tricks your mind into remembering the awful horror of the super-flu yet still able to rediscover young love in the story of Roland and Susan, and even when you begin to see where the story is headed he still compels you to follow him down the yellow brick road to its end. And at the end, you are thanking King for this wonderful riding, desiring equally for the end of Roland's quest and yet also wishing it would never end. And that is a feeling that I personally have only felt with a few series; LoTR being the first and therefore the best loved, and my comparison of The Dark Tower series to Tolkien's masterpiece is the greatest compliment I ever give to a fantasy author.