Wonderland is a Psychedelic Funhouse!

Wonderland Volume 3 - Raven Gregory

Wonderland Volume 3 is a dark, twisted, and very innovative imagination of Alice in Wonderland as envisioned by Raven Gregory. And while I have not read any of the other graphic novels about this version of Wonderland, I find myself leaning toward getting them in the near future to understand this captivating world.

The story itself - hopefully I’m getting this right here - focuses on one of Alice’s descendants, Calie, who has escaped from Wonderland in the recent past, reconnected with her daughter , Violet, and is now on the run in the real world from pursuers from Wonderland. Calie seems to be trying to make up for lost time with her daughter, eager to be a mother and play the role of overprotective mom to the fullest. On the other hand, Violet is your typical annoyed at everything but still pretty decent teenager. Together, they are trekking across America, trying to discover how to escape the ominous presence of Wonderland and lead a normal life.

In contrast to the real world of Calie and Violet, a reader is given the maddening distortions of Wonderland; a psychedelic scene filled with its devious queens and strange denizens. In this other world, a power struggle is brewing; one that is causing its denizens to craft perplexing schemes of power that are both bloody and insidious. And to fuel these grand designs, the power players of Wonderland are reaching through the rabbit hole into the "real world" ensnaring unsuspecting souls to turn into demonic minions for war. A war that threatens not only wonderland but the real world itself and somehow involves both Calie and her daughter, Violet. (I never quite understood the how of all this but assumed it was explained in earlier volumes.)

As for the artwork in Wonderland, it is top notch. The images and colors here are dazzling, able to both vividly display the psychedelic madness of the land of the jabberwacky and the real world of present day America. The women are stylized beauties, which may or may not be to your personal preferences, and the men are - well, they are normal men, which worked fine with me. And the layout of the pages here are well thought out, making it easy to follow the story even when it drifted off into back story and flashback scenes.

Overall, I really enjoyed this graphic novel. The artwork mixed the beautiful and sinister while capably moving the complex story forward. And quite honestly, the whole Alice in Wonderland psychedelic madness just struck a cord with me - perhaps I had an acid flashback. But whatever the reason, I believe I’ll be going down the rabbit hole here a bit more in the future.

Netgalley provided this book to me for free in return for an honest review. The review above was not paid for or influenced in any way by any person, entity or organization, but is my own personal opinions.

Source: http://bookwraiths.wordpress.com/2014/01/02/wonderland-volume-3-is-a-psychedelic-funhouse