Star Wars: Legacy, Volume 3

Star Wars: Legacy, Volume 3 - John Ostrander, Jan Duursema, Randy Stradley, Dave Ross, Dan Parsons

When I received the ARC for Star Wars: Legacy, Volume 3, I have to admit I knew next to nothing about this comic series, but I didn’t really worry about picking up the story because it was Star Wars and it was a graphic novel, which meant it would follow a familiar old pattern of Sith vs. Jedi.

Boy, was I wrong!

As I slowly began to consume Legacy, I discovered that it was a deeply complex novel, filled with new and thought provoking ideas that was not at all like the other Star Wars novels I had partaken of. Indeed, all I could think as I slowly savored this tale was that co-creators John Ostrander and Jan Duursema had caught lightning in a bottle with Legacy, penning a galaxy spanning adventure story that was well worthy of the "Star Wars" moniker and had come tantalizingly close to recapturing the magic of the original Star Wars trilogy.

The story itself revolves around Cade Skywalker, who lives with his own set of demons and is happy to ignore his Jedi upbringing as he drifts from bounty hunting to pirating to death sticks to general philandering. But this epic doesn’t confine itself to just our fast talking, self-loathing, dreds/goatee wearing, dark side wielding Skywalker but is populated with a galaxy spanning cast from Sith controlled Coruscant to the overthrown Emperor in exile on Bastion to the hidden Jedi temple. Every character - both minor and major - are in constant motion, living out their flawed and complex lives to the tune of Ostrander’s intricate melody, as he weaves an engrossing space opera that is not confined to one planet but spans the whole galaxy. Fleets fight battles. Sith and Jedi clash. Political machinations abound from the Sith sanctums to the Imperial throne rooms. Good characters become flawed. Evil characters show humanity. And one can almost here the famous Star Wars music playing within your mind as you partake of it all.

As for the art that propels this grand story along, I found it to be excellent, exhibiting the dark, moody and bold evolution of Star Wars as presented by the Legacy era and filled with pages of athletic and exotic men and women of different species, who were not only pleasing to the senses but also stylistically different and realistic. However, in all honesty, I am a bit biased on this point, because I have been a fan of Jan Duursema's style ever since I discovered her work on Arion: Lord of Atlantis when I was a know-it-all teenager in the 1980s. Yet even when Duursema was away and other artists penned small parts of this graphic novel’s contents, I still felt those section were well done and never caused any disruption in my enjoyment. And though there are many "cheesecake" and "beefcake" moments in the novel, it never caused me any more concern than watching a movie or television show where everyone is athletic and attractive.

All in all, this is one of the great "Expanded Universe" Star Wars tales. Legacy is quite simply an exciting, complex story that mixes compelling characters with new ideas and succeeds in creating a truly original "Star Wars" saga. Co-creators Ostrander and Duursema have gifted Star Wars’ fans with a galaxy spanning adventure that not only progresses to an epic confrontation of Jedi and Sith but also to other individual climaxes of minor and major characters; each one just as important to the reader as that of our resident Skywalker.

This one is highly recommended to Star Wars fans!

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review. I’d like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to receive this review copy and inform everyone that the review you have read is my opinion alone.

Source: http://bookwraiths.com/2014/02/17/star-wars-legacy-volume-3