STAR WARS' FUN -- SMUGGLER STYLE!

Honor Among Thieves - James S.A. Corey

I have been a Star Wars fan since I was a little kid running around at my elementary playground pretending to be Luke Skywalker or Han Solo. Naturally, I adored the original trilogy growing up, read all the comics and the novelizations back in the 1980s, and even got psyched about the second trilogy – though that cooled a bit after watching all three. Since then, I’ve continued to read the Expanded Universe novels, not devouring every one but picking and choosing those that seemed a good fit for my reading palate. So when I saw that Honor Among Thieves was coming out I got a bit excited. One, it was a book focusing on Han Solo, a favorite of mine, and two, it would be written by Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck whose Expanse series – written under their pen name James S.A. Corey – I had heard great things about. So as I opened up this novel, I expected a thrilled ride of good old fashioned Star Wars fun, and I was not disappointed.

The story starts up after The Battle of Yavin. The Rebel Alliance is diligently searching for a planet to establish their new base on, but they are having trouble with that as well as other things. One of the most pressing issues is an urgent message from one of their high-level spies named Scarlet Hark, who needs an immediate evacuation from an planet deep within Imperial space. It is a dangerous mission. One that requires just the right amount of deviousness and reckless courage, so obviously, the only person right for it is Han Solo. Once the negotiations for his and Chewie’s fee are worked out, off the two go to pick up their cargo.

Naturally, things are not as simple as they seem, for once the two slip into Imperial space they find several bounty hunters waiting to snatch good old Han and escort him to a private meeting with Jabba the Hutt. But that is not all. When Scarlet Hark does indeed show up, she immediately informs her rescuers that she needs more than just a ride back to the Rebel Fleet but requires their help in locating information about an ancient device that the Empire has discovered. A device that is so powerful that whomever gets control over it can not only win the war but immediately become the ultimate power in the universe!

The tour guide through all the fun is obviously Han Solo. If you love him, you will adore this book. If he is not your favorite (Like anyone would not love Han Solo.) then you might not enjoy this novel. But no matter, this is a story from the viewpoint of the Corellian smuggler who existed between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Sure, he might have decided to stick around with the Rebels after the Death Star went boom, but while he is lingering with his friends Luke and Leia longer than he should, at heart, he is still a self-centered pirate who expects to be well paid for his services. Maybe, he even is starting to feel a change in his outlook on life, but Han isn’t going to admit it to himself and definitely not anyone else. And that is why this story is so entertaining even without suspense (Hey, if you have seen the movies, you know that no body is biting the big one or winning the war before Episode V.) because it actually captures the real change taking place in the Corellian’s heart.

Quite simply, Honor Among Thieves is pure Star Wars thrills, courtesy of Han Solo. The plot is filled with signature Han one liners and his reckless approach to problems. His constant bantering with his female friends is classic Star Wars. His character growth is real and tangle as the story progresses. The novel is and should be a must read of any fan, because it is Star Wars fun – smuggler style!

Netgalley and the publisher provided this book to me for free in return for an honest review. The review above was not paid for or influenced in any way by any person, entity or organization, but is my own personal opinions.

Source: http://bookwraiths.com/2014/03/31/honor-among-thieves-by-james-s-a-corey